How To Prepare

Preparation is Key

Before you learn to ride a motorcycle, you will need to obtain a learner’s permit from any licensing center. It is advisable to study the ride safe book to enable you to complete the required theory test. To assist you with the general questions access the DPI website where you will find some sample questions. Be aware that motorcycle riding in Perth Western Australia may have different rules from other states in Australia, so motorcycle training in Perth will adhere to West Australian rules. You can also visit our Videos & Resources page for more info on preparation. 

You can practice with the following sample quiz’s:

How to prepare for a R-N Scooter 50cc.
You can apply for an R-N class learner’s permit at 15 years and 6 months of age (with parent’s permission).

How to prepare for a R-E class Up to 650cc.
You can apply for an R-E class learner’s permit at 16 years of age and take your practical assessment at 16 years and 6 months and then take your hazard perception assessment at 17 years of age.

How to prepare for a R class Unrestricted
You can apply for your R class learner’s permit immediately after passing your R-E assessment but not take the R class assessment until one year after passing your R-E class.

What to wear
Long sleeves, long pants and closed shoes.

The below image shows some injuries that can be avoided by wearing appropriate protective clothing